Improbable Icon

[BLOG] "Wizards and Pirates- a tale of two tutorials"

blog
tutorials
wizards
pirates

We’ve recently made some great updates to the first two steps of getting started with SpatialOS.

Read the full blog post here.

Let us know your thoughts below - and if you’re new to the platform, say hello!

My thoughts are this. While it was great of you to offer two different types of games as an example going through the tutorial. I would like to see more focus on wizards is more of a proof of concept and that stage being dropped back to the pirates. Maybe 5% of games are released as a sea game, and those tend to not catch on well. Pirates has a broader audience of which it would directly apply to an early case study on how to get their game going.

Could you clarify what you mean, @Dynarev? It sounds like you prefer the game world of Wizards and so would prefer that as an example rather than the nautical world of Pirates - is that right? I wasn’t sure what you meant by

Pirates has a broader audience of which it would directly apply to an early case study on how to get their game going.

The idea behind the Pirates tutorial is that it shouldn’t matter so much exactly what the setting is - it’s a tool to teach the concepts of SpatialOS. If you wanted to use what you learn from Pirates and apply that to the game world of Wizards, to build new features on top of it, that would work great too.