Improbable Icon

Heavy Fire (fps deathmatch) Playtest Sunday Jan 15th 2017 @21:00 CET

playtest

Hi @everyone!

We want to invite you to our first big playtest for Heavy Fire which is a fps deathmatch prototype. I will post some links here around 20:30 CET on sunday for you to join. Please drop a message in this thread if you want to participate so we can estimate the player numbers and adjusting the world accordingly.

Purpose of this test:

• testing SpatialOS as backend
  • tesing our implementation regarding SpatialOS
  • testing our network code

The prototype itself is very simple, each player has a gun with unlimited ammo and 100 health, there are no pickups. Just shoot at anyone you see! Graphics is kept simple and low, just cubes and capsules, so no need for a highly tuned gaming pc :wink:

Controls:

• ESC: Menu
  • LMB or Ctrl: Fire
  • Space: Jump
  • Shift: Run
  • WASD: Move
  • TAB: Player list

Feedback can be provided here, in PM to me or in our discord. If you want to get in touch with us during the playtest please join our discord, text and voice are possible.

Discord: https://discord.gg/c6dGGF9

Have fun!
Florian

Count me in :slight_smile:

I’m keen! :smiley:

Here are some keys, feel free to join at any time. Main test will be around 21:00 - 22:00 CET. Lnks are per user and valid for 6 hours.

Link #1

Link #2

Link #3

Link #4

Link #5

Link #6

Link #7

Link #8

Link #9

Link #10

Seems to have worked pretty good, no issues on my end.

Please join again around 21:00 CET when more players are in the game :slight_smile:

Hi @daschatten,

I have participated in the playtest (you probably noticed since you killed me a few times ;)) and I can provide the following feedback:

1. I tried to start the game using three different links above of the above but it took me four tries to sign in; the player kept saying something was wrong but did not provide a lot of context
  2. The shader on the muzzle flash is missing (pink)
  3. Playing went smoothly, I did not get the feeling that movement was impaired (do you do server-side movement or purely client side?)
  4. I did not see bullets; which made it kind of hard to get a feeling what the range of the weapon was and whether I hit someone
  5. Forward speed felt ‘limited’; I noticed that I missed a high paced forward momentum such as in old games such as Unreal Tournament while the turning speed, headbob and overall pace did give me that feeling
  6. I had trouble locating who shot me, but that may be my lack of skill with this type of game :wink:
  7. Sometimes there was a delay with respawning (or the command failed) and I could click multiple times on the respawn button, ending up somewhere else every time.

Overall; awesome progress! I love seeing what you have done and how smooth the gameplay is at the moment. I haven’t been able to get my cam controls that smooth yet :slight_smile:

Thanks for joining us and your feedback @draconigra !

I have participated in the playtest (you probably noticed since you killed me a few times :wink:) and I can provide the following feedback:

I tried to start the game using three different links above of the above but it took me four tries to sign in; the player kept saying something was wrong but did not provide a lot of context

@Improbable is working on a new mechnism. Hopefully with better messages :slight_smile:

The shader on the muzzle flash is missing (pink)

Strange, this only happened for you. Can you post your system specs, OS and so on?

Playing went smoothly, I did not get the feeling that movement was impaired (do you do server-side movement or purely client side?)

Movement is purely client side

I did not see bullets; which made it kind of hard to get a feeling what the range of the weapon was and whether I hit someone

Hit indication is provided by the crosshair, it should flash white in the center when you hit someone :slight_smile:

Forward speed felt 'limited'; I noticed that I missed a high paced forward momentum such as in old games such as Unreal Tournament while the turning speed, headbob and overall pace did give me that feeling

I use the standard unity FPSController atm. Will exchange later!

I had trouble locating who shot me, but that may be my lack of skill with this type of game :wink:

Yep, no directional hit indication yet!

Sometimes there was a delay with respawning (or the command failed) and I could click multiple times on the respawn button, ending up somewhere else every time.

This was a major problem, together with hits not applied, see also https://forums.improbable.io/t/what-means-io-grpc-statusruntimeexception-unknown/1309 .

Overall; awesome progress! I love seeing what you have done and how smooth the gameplay is at the moment. I haven’t been able to get my cam controls that smooth yet :slight_smile:

Thanks! It’s not that smooth in all cases, but i’m happy with it for now!

I have a MacBook Pro (2014 model) with OSX Sierra (10.12.2) installed on it and 16gb of RAM. When I use the stand-alone client with my own game I experience similar issues.

In my previous spatialos tests i disabled mac build completely as some assets had build problems, i remember lots of shader errors… sadly linux and mac (opengl in general) builds reveal lots of problems with several assets from the unity asset store.