Improbable Icon

Multiplayer Port

general

Hi,

SpatialOS seam a really interesting tech, but I’m not sure I quite understand all the possibilities yet.

I am thinking about porting my game over. Currently it uses Photon Unity Networking. The benefit would be bigger battles and more missiles flying around, because obviously more missiles is always better.

I guess my question is, does SpatialOS is better suited for non-traditional mutiplayer or is it flexible enough to do the usual kind of FPS "lobby’ system. Am I limiting myself needlessly by sticking to traditions?

Also, is it worth spending the time to port a game, or should I start something new?
Maybe porting the game would be a good learning exercise. (Keep in mind I’m a lonely dev working for fun)

Sorry for the almost meta-physical questions.

Hey, Those are some great questions. My advice would be to start something new first, just to get a feel of all the possibilities. The hello world tutorial is a great thing to fork and mess with to learn more about what you can do.

If after that you can see possibilities for your original game you should totally port it and much wiser people than me can even offer sage advice here on the forums :slight_smile:

Hey @SionoiS!

Herman is right - before you port anything, you should definitely run through the tech first to get a feel for the SDK and Platform :slight_smile:

I guess my question is, does SpatialOS is better suited for non-traditional mutiplayer or is it flexible enough to do the usual kind of FPS "lobby’ system. Am I limiting myself needlessly by sticking to traditions?

Personally, I believe that traditional lobby systems are less appealing when you have the power of multiple game engines at your fingertips. You could implement them, but it’s probably a little more fun to build a seamless world and see where that takes you! For example, you could have some of the debris from battles persist, proding an evolving terrain for players to navigate.

Also, is it worth spending the time to port a game, or should I start something new?
Maybe porting the game would be a good learning exercise. (Keep in mind I’m a lonely dev working for fun)

Our Unity integration is well-supported, so you’ll be able to use all of the Unity functionality you’re used to. I haven’t used Photon extensively, but I’m sure you’d be able to re-implement everything. The APIs are fairly different, though, as you’ll find out!

At a very high level, you’ll need to create a new SpatialOS project (start by cloning Hello World or Pirates), port any sychronized state to our Schema language, and divide up your game logic between UnityClients (client workers) and FSims (server workers). Once you’ve done this, you’ll get world persistence and the potential for a lot more scale for free)!

(Game looks great, by the way!)

Thanks for the replies. I’ll probably start with Hello World as you suggested.

I haven’t been exited this much about a tech since Microsoft Hololens!