Improbable Icon

Forums

Query Based Interest and Bridge Configuration

bridge-config
unity-gdk

Hi,

I have found that when using Query-Based-Interest, only the components mentioned in the component-delivery section of the worker’s Bridge Configuration are actually delivered. My impression was that Query-Based-Interest was supposed to override the Bridge Configuration based on the comments here, but this doesn’t seem to be the case. Is this the intended behavior?

Thanks!

Just to add a couple of points, I know that the Query-Based-Interest system is working, because my bridge configuration sets range_entity_interest to zero, and I am still seeing the radius of delivered entities change as a function of the values in my interest queries.

Also, I am noticing that all of the components mentioned in the BridgeConfiguration component-delivery section are always delivered, even if my interest-query has only a subset of result_component_ids.

Its as if the interest query is only affecting which entities are delivered, but has no effect on the particular components that arrive.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hey @joeys,

You’ve stumbled onto something we’re currently working to fix. You’ve also bumped into the fact that we’re missing documentation on how query-based interest (QBI), entity interest and component delivery settings interact - which we’re also fixing as part of bringing QBI out of beta.

Its as if the interest query is only affecting which entities are delivered, but has no effect on the particular components that arrive.

Right now this is the case and it’s one of the reasons QBI is still marked as beta. Component delivery settings override query-based interest (and entity interest). We’re working to change this so that that they don’t. Unfortunately, right now that means you have to make sure the result components on your QBI queries are present in your bridge configuration. For now, this means your worker will see more data than it needs to. When QBI comes out of beta this will no longer be the case and you’ll be able to remove the extra components you add.

Thanks for raising this, and for your patience whilst we fix up these issues.

Sean

Got it. Thanks very much for clarifying!