Improbable Icon

Question about article 2.3 of the EULA

general

Yesterday when I was reading the EULA I saw that in article 2.3 it says we are not allowed to release any content made with SpatialOS on any platform apart from Steam and the Improbable Launcher. I am a huge fan of itch.io so I would like to release my games there (too) instead of just those two platforms.

Because I do not really understand why this restriction exists I would like to know why it does.

Here’s a link to the eula.

Says “Unless otherwise agreed between the parties in writing,”

If you get Improbable to agree (meaning to me that certain conditions have to be met) I would think that you can use it on any compatible platform.

Will reply tomorrow morning once we’re all back in the office!
Cal :support:

I know, but I would like to know why this restriction exists and what those conditions are. It just sounds a bit strange to me.
I guess we will see tomorrow.

I’ve raised the issue with our legal team, I’ll have an answer for you asap

Greetings,

Great question Thaumazo. I’m curious if there has been any feedback regarding this yet?

What requirements are needed/looked at/reviewed before “Unless otherwise agreed between the parties in writing” is accepted on Improbable’s end?

My apologies if this new inquire is too soon since callumb’s reply, but this could be a make or break for some.

Thank you for your time,

Thanks for the prod. I think legal stuff takes a lot longer than I first thought…turns out you need some sort of “qualification” to make decisions like this :stuck_out_tongue:
I haven’t forgotten: I’ll chase again on Monday and see what I can get you!
Most of this is a symptom of the platform being in Beta- as we grow we’ll iron issues like this out.
Thanks for being patient :slight_smile:
Cal!

Hi @Thaumazo

Big fan of itch.io! My mum always said itch.io is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get :chocolate_bar: :slight_smile:

The main reason why today we restrict release in the Beta EULA through Steam and the Improbable launcher is that they are the two distribution mechanism we support today. There is work on our side to validate additional distribution mechanism from a technical perspective and from a legal perspective.

We haven’t had a chance yet to work on a game distributed via itch.io and we would love to work with you on what you need to release your game.

Hi @dizenth

Currently SpatialOS is still in Beta and the main purpose of the EULA is to allow new users to sign up to experiment with, test and develop on SpatialOS.

We’re always happy to talk to studios ahead of a release and help where needed. When you’re ready, reach out to us on here and we’ll put you in touch with an account manager who can talk you through the whole process! Very excited to see what you’re coming up with.

For reference here is the current Section 2.3 of the SpatialOS Beta EULA:

2.3. Use of Developer Original Content. If you would like to commercially use and/or otherwise exploit the Developer Original Content you may only do so with Improbable’s prior written consent. Unless otherwise agreed between the parties in writing, you will only release Developer Original Content to end user consumers via either Steam or Improbable’s own content launcher.

@mathieu,

Thank you for reply I appreciate it :slight_smile: !

P.S. mmmm chocolate, now I must go get some, curses! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for your reply! But maybe you should turn around the box once, Mathieu.

I will start development and probably reach out to you later.