Improbable Icon

Spatial diagnose does not work with Fish shell

If I type spatial diagnose in fish shell I get

Mono
  [FAIL]
  - An error occurred during the diagnostics check.
  - Error: Unknown command-line environment. Please contact support on the forums: https://forums.improbable.io/..
Unknown command-line environment.
Network access
  [FAIL]
  - Error: Unknown command-line environment. Please contact support on the forums: https://forums.improbable.io/..
Project's SpatialOS SDK
  [SUCCESS]
  - Found version 12.1.0.
Spatial CLI SDK plugin
  [SUCCESS]
  - Installed at '/Users/domluna/.improbable/bin/plugins/sdk/12.1.0/sdk'.
  - Found version 12.1.0.
Spatial CLI tool
  [FAIL]
Unity3D
  [SUCCESS]
  - Unity is installed.
  - Installed at '/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity'.
  - Found version 2017.3.0.

Results
  Found 3 error(s) while running diagnostics.
Error: Errors were found.

See the full log of what happened here:
    /Users/domluna/github/PiratesTutorial-master/logs/spatial.log

Or re-run to see more information in the console:
    spatial diagnose --log_level=debug

'spatial diagnose' failed (0.1s)
Encountered an error during command execution.
    exit status 1

If I run it in bash, everything checks out fine.

1. How come this doesn’t work in fish shell?
  2. The error message could be better, Error: Unknown command-line environment. is somewhat ambiguous.

Hi @domluna, I’m guessing that fish shell doesn’t work because it’s syntax somewhat differs from bash, so some
of the spatial command line tools would need to be re-implemented. We’ve currently prioritized bash and powershell so we can focus on meeting the needs of as many of our users as possible while being able to prioritize building out those tools in more depth.

As for the error message, I’m guessing that it comes from the fact that the spatial command line tool doesn’t recognize the environment (as it only knows the main ones) so it can’t do much more to get a more specific error message. Do you have any suggestions for what a more helpful error message would be in this case?

Hey @domluna, I’ve got a bit of a correction. From what we currently understand, we believe that spatial commands should work from the fish shell. Since it is currently unrecognized, diagnose and install-dependencies will report errors for the time being. However, with the next SDK release this should be changed and you’ll no longer see those errors. All this being said, we still would recommend bash or powershell, as those have been more thoroughly tested from our end.

Cool I’ll just use bash until then. Thanks Kevin :+1: