Improbable Icon

SPATiAL OS for MOBILE / ANDROID

Hello! First of all I’m thrilled to have come across an article with information on what Spatial can do.

Secondly, I would like to know what plans you have for mobile platforms (made for Android with Unity). What complications may exist and if there has been any progress. Last post I could find here was written in Jan.

If possible, I would like to discuss my project in a little bit more detail with someone.

Thank you

Hi @VRCOMET ,

Thanks for the interest in SpatialOS!

Unfortunately we don’t currently support it, and it’s not on our roadmap, but we do plan to come back to it in the future. Once we do you’ll likely hear about it here :slight_smile:

We did have an internal try-out of iOS of which can you see the result in our Quest demo:

Hopefuly this makes sense :slight_smile:

-Ev

Hang on, please could you clarify what is meant by mobile platforms not being on your roadmap?

At the moment we don’t have a timetable for when mobile platforms will be officially supported for development/release.

Hi @Kevin thanks for your response. I guess I’m trying to understand how essential mobile platform support is considered for SpatialOS.

Now in terms of unofficial support, what options are present short term-wise? I have a couple of early mobile concepts that I would like to play around with/demo on indicative hardware; are there any options available that allow this currently? What process did you follow when developing your aforementioned Quest demo?

Cheers! :slightly_smiling_face:

Mobile is something we definitely want to support as soon as we can, but we have been prioritizing work on engines that our current customers are working on. For developing on mobile now, the main issues are that we haven’t been running tests for building on mobile devices so we can’t guarantee what will or will not build for the specific devices that you are working on, but it’s likely the case that the changes needed to get things building aren’t huge. Specifically for android we know even less, but I’d recommend giving a build a shot and see what problems you run into. There’s always a chance the workaround isn’t too difficult.

Hi Kevin,
I’ve been periodically checking in on mobile support, and after reading through the different questions and responses, I wanted to pose a few questions and propose a path forward.

1. It seems that reducing the scope of ‘mobile’ support to something like “Unity v.X on Android” support would significantly reduce the complexity of this feature proposal. Given there is already a C# SDK, a Unity SDK, and Unity runs on Android, it seems like this is mostly hammering out a build and deployment strategy along with some platform tweaks - is that accurate assessment?

2. Would Spatial consider opening this up to a community effort? I’m sure there are other thoughts along the lines of “x engine on y device,” but if we could pull the community together to push one of the requested platforms forward, would Spatial be open to supporting that development model? Given that a POC on iOS already exists, it seems like this could be a well-scoped effort, and with the potential market would provide benefit to both Spatial and the developer community. I think the platform is disruptive, and that individuals would participate for the experience and gained knowledge, but I can also imagine a variety of ways Spatial could give incentives for contributions that would attract teams backed by studios.

I understand that a considered response to this suggestion will not, and probably should not be immediate. After reading the threads on this topic, my goal here was to table a suggestion and see where it might lead. Spatial is an amazing platform that I have been enjoying learning, and I for one would love to contribute to the platform and help push the boundaries of what a mobile game can deliver. I would put my time and effort into the above, and I believe that with the right structure and support from Spatial, other individuals and even backed teams would as well.