Improbable Icon

SpatialOS Forums

SpatialOS for Immersive Web Visualization Applications

Hi SpatialOS:

I’m hoping you can advise on both feasibility and pricing for a use-case of SpatialOS that’s similar to your focus on simulations a few years ago.

My goal is to use SpatialOS’s distributed infrastructure to build an immersive web data visualization application.

The main technical adaption from your MMOG use-case would facilitate continuously streaming data processing to client progressively, for immersive interactions. The aim is to enable level-of-detail zooming seamlessly; without need for separately loaded scenes and levels. *If helpful, I included a link below to get a sense of this technical challenge. The main pricing adaption would be from sessions (min 10 mins?) to something like worker instances, I’m guessing.

As for game engine in this architecture; I see Blender’s new free plug-in game engine, Armory3d, as a great potential choice because it supports HTML canvas export with high quality graphics. Its underlying Haxe language handles fallbacks to HTML canvas from WebGL 1 or 2, by reading the client device. Other engines are limited by sluggishly loaded WASM. Id imagine it could be setup to run headlessly. Armory3d’s main limitation is that it’s new.

As for local client, I could imagine a shell Progressive Web App (PWA) with service workers could improve speed. Maybe this isn’t necessary with streamlined data handling and rendering.

I know this is a broadly sketched out request for support. If you could advise on any parts of it, I’d appreciate it a lot.

Thanks!
Mike

*Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6vtgGY-aLs

Hey @Mike-Montgomery,

welcome to the community and thanks for asking this interesting question.

It’s a broad question and unfortunately, I’m not sure we’ll be able to give you the exact answers you’re looking for but hopefully we can help in some way.

Firstly, there is currently no SpatialOS support for WebGL. As a 3rd party tool, Armory3D is something you could integrate but you would have to be mindful that we don’t support Armory3D specifically. This may well impact what you would like to achieve with SpatialOS. If you have a different tech stack in mind though and have more details on that, please feel free to share them here, especially if it can help us understand better.

In terms of pricing, because of the above, I’m not sure what server-side computational requirements this would need. If you have more info or rough estimates the server-side compute requirements and egress, we might be able to help better as well.

best,
Nee :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks @Nee. I’d think following your example integration project with Godot engine would be a good reference, since they support HTML5. Engine support for web rendering - HTML and Webgl - are top requirements on my end. Since SpatialOS is the infrastructure and runtime, not the game engine front-end, can you think of any reason why a SpatialOS integration wouldn’t be able to support HTML and/or Webgl?

FYI: Here’s the SpatialOS/Godot integration project:

Thanks,
Mike