Forums

SpatialOS GDK Game Jam [Lite]

gamejam
unity-gdk
unreal-gdk
contest
competition

Hi all participatings,

We are holding our first virtual competition. The challenge consists of picking either the SpatialOS GDK for Unreal or Unity (recommended), and creating a game, a specific game mechanic or feature, plus the concept of “persistence”; to create something amazing - iterate, be creative, and think outside of the box.

The SpatialOS GDK Game Jam [Lite] will start on Monday, 4 March 2019 (4:00pm GMT) and end on Sunday, 10 March 2019 (11:59pm GMT).

Here are a couple of examples of the criteria:

Example 1:

* SpatialOS GDK for Unity, First Person Starter Pack
* Movement
* Persistence

Example 2:

* SpatialOS GDK for Unreal, 3rd Person Starter Pack
* Turns
* Persistence

Eligibility

• Any developer that has signed up for SpatialOS
  • Participants must be at least 18 years old to enter

Contest Period

• The Contest Period begins on Monday, 4 March 2019 (4:00pm GMT) and ends on Sunday, 10 March 2019 (11:59pm GMT) (the “Contest Period”). All entries must be submitted during the Contest Period. We will announce the winners on the Forums and Discord channels by 19 March 2019.

Prizes & Judging

• Submissions will be reviewed and scored by a panel of Improbable engineers and creatives. Prizes will go to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place submissions.
    • 1st place prize: “Best in Show”
      • SEGA Console Megadrive, Sony PlayStation Classic, or Raspberry Pi (one (1) device per participant or per team member)
      • Improbable Swag Items (one bag per participant or per team member)
    • 2nd place prize - “Best take on the theme”
      • Logitech gaming mouse, or Corsair Gaming Keyboard (one (1) device per participant or per team member)
      • Improbable Swag Items (one (1) bag per participant or per team member)
    • 3rd place - “Most Unique”
      • Improbable Swag Items (one (1) bag per participant or per team member)
  • Improbable Swag Items shall consist of a Power Bank Charger, USB, Mini Selfie Remote & Wireless Speaker, Pins, Stickers, and Rubix Cube

How to participate:

• Free to enter
  • Individually or as a team (each team shall have a maximum of four (4) team members)
  • Virtual or remote submissions only
  • One (1) Submission per individual or team
  • Develop your submission using any software tools or platforms you have legal license to use but they should be using the SpatialOS Unity GDK FPS Starter Project, Unreal GDK 3rd Person Starter Project or GDK Blank Project
  • You must use a new SpatialOS project and a new code
  • Your submission must be a finished (i.e playable) and executable game, feature, level or mechanic
  • Submit your final entry at any time during the competition, between Monday, 4 March 2019 (4:00pm GMT) and ends on Sunday, 10 March 2019 (11:59pm GMT).

Submitting your project:

• Online submissions only - please send your final submissions to the following inbox: competitions@improbable.io
  • Submissions MUST include:
    • Team or individual name
    • Full names, email address, delivery addresses, phone numbers of each contestant
      • All contact information provided must be current, accurate, and valid
    • SpatialOS Project information
      • Project name (example: beta_someword_anotherword_000)
      • Link to the submission deployment
      • [ optional ] Link to the repo
      • Command to bring up the deployment:
        • spatial deployment launch my_project_name my_assembly_name deploy.json my_deployment --snapshot=snapshot_name
    • A “game in a frame” screen grab
    • Description of your build and key information (200 words)
      • Why your submission should win
      • Feedback for Improbable on your development experience
    • Indicate if the work is 100% original or if assets were sourced from an online marketplace
    • Links to anything open sourced

Terms and conditions

GDK Game Jam [Lite], 2019 has started!

=O I NEED THAT SELFIE REMOTE. >=|

so we’re supposed to make a game from scratch in 6 days type thing?

Hey @MarshallVisions,

you can make a game, a specific game feature or game mechanic - be creative as you want!

I have tweaked the beginning of that post to make that clearer though, apologies if this confused anyone!

best,
Nee

Hello again,

Just adding that if you’re on our Discord, you can join the #game-jams channel and chat to fellow developers, also participating in the game jam - share some ideas, inspiration and good ol’ fashioned friendly competition :wink: