Improbable Icon

Forums

SpatialOS pricing and improvements to our free tier

announcement
pricing
spatialos

Hi all,

Today, we’re very pleased to announce two very important updates:

1. We’ve made full pricing details for SpatialOS publicly available, with important updates to our pricing page and documentation, which now contain detailed explanation, pricing examples and FAQS.
  2. We have expanded what we offer with our free tier.

Some of you have been waiting a long time for this update and we want to say thank you to all those who have been very patient with us, as we’ve worked to clarify everything. Your understanding and support has been incredibly appreciated by the team - huge thanks again. We hope this will provide people with key information and details with which to help them.

For full details and information on this, please do check out our documentation and our updated pricing page. We recommend anyone developing on SpatialOS or who has previously had questions related to the pricing structure of SpatialOS to check all of this out and read through everything in detail.

However, to help, here’s a topline summary of the key points to consider:

• Our free tier:
    • It’s still completely free to learn how to use SpatialOS, to start development and prototype a game or a project.
    • We will do our best to respond to all queries for technical support and help on our Forums within three working days.
    • Previously, the free tier only allowed you the use of the ‘small’ game template. The largest template now available with the free tier more than doubles the capacity of the SpatialOS Runtime per game instance. If you’re currently using the ‘small’ template in your deployment configuration, you have the option to upgrade to one of the new templates and use the new Runtime capacity to add more content, players, fidelity and more.
  • Pricing information:
    • Outside of the free tier, we charge for hosting when you launch cloud-based game instances. For each deployment, you choose a game template based on the size of your deployment. This template gives you all the cloud resources you need to run a single deployment.
    • We charge based on the template you choose, how long your deployment runs for (to the nearest minute), and where it is hosted. There are no additional cloud costs.
    • In order to estimate your total SpatialOS cost, you just need to know the template size you need for each of your game instances and the number of game instances you need based on your expected concurrent player count.
    • Please check out pricing examples here to start choosing a template size.

If you want to access and use the paid tier, then you’ll still need to get in touch with us. You can message me privately if you do. We’ll be automating this soon, though, to get you started with the paid tier much more easily and quickly.

We’re already working on a number of additional things, including more templates in the future and additional pricing options. Again, do check out our Pricing page and documentation for all the full details.

As always, if you have any feedback, questions or thoughts, let us know and share them with us here on the Forums.

Best,
Nee

1 Like
About SpatialOS pricing
About SpatialOS Pricing: March 2018 Update
pinned #3

Thanks so much for this, it’s great to finally see the numbers!

I was hoping to see a 2x to 2.5x premium over GCP public pricing, knowing that given GCP overcapacity that you have likely negotiated a very good deal.

To make sure I’m reading this correctly, from what I see here:

The w4_r1000_e10 is basically a n1-standard-4 as outlined here:

https://cloud.google.com/compute/pricing

The w4_r1000_e10 and the n1-standard-4 have exactly the same specs: 4 vCPU, 15GB ram…

So, the price difference is:

$0.19/hr (GCP GCE) vs. $1.08/hr (SpatialOS resold)

That’s a staggering difference! 5.68x!!!

Do I have this correct? I’ve double and triple checked this and it seems correct.

I’m probably overlooking something, if so could you please share what that may be?

To be fair, things do look a bit better once you scale up to the largest 16 vCPU option:

n1-standard-16 ($0.76) vs. w16_r2000_e20 ($2.59) = 3.4x increase in cost

Thanks in advance!

Hey @VV_Rhino,

We included a price comparison to traditional cloud providers at the bottom of our pricing page in the FAQ section - see the question ‘How does your pricing compare to traditional cloud-hosted dedicated server games?’.

You’ll see from the response we give there that we are only a small increase in price compared to hosting a traditional dedicated server game with one of the major cloud providers. The main difference between your calculation above and the one we include there is that with our pricing, your bandwidth cost is included in the price of the template. With traditional cloud prices, it is separate and makes up a significant share of the total cost. You haven’t factored this in to your calculations above.

According to Google Cloud Platform’s current pricing table, premium network egress to destinations, excluding China and Australia, is priced at $0.08 - $0.12 per GB. With the w4_r1000_e10 template you get 10GB per hr included in the template price, so that’s $0.80 - $1.20 per hour worth of egress you would need to add-on to make a like for like comparison. With our pricing you also get production ready logging and metrics tooling included in the price. With traditional cloud providers, you’d also have to pay for this separately.

Hope that helps :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, @Nee that does help! I knew there had to be something I was missing. I had assumed incorrectly that since you were sitting on GCP that you were billing bandwidth separately at their rate, or more likely, their max rate.

Several follow-up questions:

1. Is there any pass-through of the GCP’s “sustained use discount” of up to 60% for the VM itself?I assume this is factored into the overall pricing structure you’ve come up with, and wouldn’t affect billing received from SpatialOS, but figured I’d ask to be sure.

2. I noticed that for most template sizes (all but the 16 core), you offer two egress levels, which is certainly better than one! I also noticed that your overage is billed at roughly GCP’s maximum rate of $0.12/GB. Why not an offering which includes zero egress, and you just charge the overage rate of $0.12/GB for what is actually used?

Here are two scenarios where this is useful:

A) Any larger studio is going to want and need multiple formal QA / staging environments and multiple simultaneous deployments, which means Free Tier is out. However, these will need to have proper CPU sizing for appropriate testing, but will not need anywhere near 5GB/hour bandwidth throughout the workday. During a 10 hour workday that’s 50GB of transfer, and a QA test environment won’t even do a 10th of that, so it seems a waste to pay for that much for months and months of development time before any $$$ can roll in.

B) Alternatively, certain game types such as turn-based will consume far less than 5GB/hour per deployed production server. While a UE4 FPS twitch game will perhaps use 5GB to 20GB per hour (that’s the range available in your templates), some game types won’t come anywhere near this. I know your typical Spatial OS game won’t fit this paradigm, but the recent marketing push into “build any multiplayer game on SpatialOS, not just MMO’s” doesn’t seem particularly well reflected here.

1. Do you have any plans to offer the high-mem or high-cpu GCE VM’s? Are these available via custom templates? If not, is it something that is planned for the future? Again, citing the example above, certain game types such as turn-based strategy or card games have very low bandwidth and CPU requirements per match, and as such to provide the best overall use of the hardware, you need lots of memory to manage the hundreds to thousands of matches per box. The standard 3.75GB/core is too low. You’ll run OOM on such hardware long before the CPU or network is saturated.

Please don’t see this as complaining. You folks had to start somewhere, and I do think the offerings you have will meet the majority of what studios need, for a majority of titles, once the game is live. But for game types that are perhaps on the fringe of what you’re thinking SpatialOS would be used for, or games in development, it would be great to know if custom templates can be negotiated to do things like increase memory per core (GCP highmem) and/or lower minimum allocated egress bandwidth to 0GB or 1GB per hour?

Thanks in advance!

Hey @VV_Rhino ,

A big thanks for all the detailed feedback you’ve given us here, this is all really useful.

In response to your first question - we don’t currently offer any discounts for sustained use. You’re right that Google Cloud Platform currently offer this to their customers (although I believe their sustained usage discount maxes out at 30%, not 60%). When setting our prices, we’ve already taken this into account, so in effect, we’re already passing any benefit we receive here on to you.

Regarding your second question - this is great feedback, again, thank you! Our teams are going to take a closer look at this and see if we can find a decent solution for these use cases.

For your final question - yes, we can provide custom templates with different size/shaped VM’s, so if you have an urgent need for a specific project, please let us know - just message me private if you do. In the future we will make these publicly accessible too.

Thanks again for your feedback :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes I stand corrected, I was looking at the wrong table on their website:

https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/sustained-use-discounts

GCP’s incremental usage rate is 40% of the base rate (thus 60% off) for 75% to 100% of the month usage. This amounts to a total discount of 30%.if you are active for an entire month. I couldn’t see the forest for the trees. :wink:

I’ll send you a PM to discuss further!