Improbable Icon

SpatialOS World Inspector 3D mode

inspector
spatiallocal
spatialos

Hello, I might’ve missed a note in the manual or not searched the forums properly but what is the 3D mode on the World Inspector supposed to do?

At the moment it’s just removing the grid and slightly squeezing in my entity view, but there seems to be no 3D view of the Spatial world, which would be very helpful for some of the stuff I’m doing.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Faried!

So 2D mode is essentially all your entities drawn on a piece of paper. When you pan around the world its really just you moving that piece of paper around. You perspective is essentially the same just your frame of visions moves from one space to another.

3D mode might be a little misleading in that you can’t turn / fly around in the way you might expect to explore this space. For us what 3D mode means the entities are actually plotted along 3D space, they have an X,Y & Z coordinate. Your controls for navigating the space don’t change (its just panning & zooming) however the perspective will change, this means entities further away from you will move slower then entities closer to you when panning (the parallax effect). It’s really just an effect to get an idea for the vertical space of the world. For this reason it makes things like grids difficult to visualise. Hence why they are not present.

I hope that answers your question!

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the clarification! It does indeed answer my question, yet the 3D mode doesn’t serve me much purpose in that respect.

Since I’m working with things that float or jump around, it’d be useful to see what my Spatial world thinks I’m doing.

Unless there’s a neat trick to see this, I guess the workaround is to run a worker client and kill off the main worker to visualize it in (our case) Unity?

You can set UnityWorker count to 0 in default_launch.json (“num_workers”: 0) and connect your UnityWorker scene in editor (switch to scene and enter Play mode). With this you can see/debug the backend side :slight_smile:

Hi, @Faried. Have a look at the documentation about load balancing (https://docs.improbable.io/reference/11.1/workers/configuration/loadbalancer-config). You can set the workers to use “singleton_worker” which means it will wait for a manual worker to be started, which should hopefully help with debugging the worker. Please note that this only works on a local deployment.

Thanks

Erik