Improbable Icon

The Best Video Games of 2016

general

2016 has been an exciting year for the gaming industry! From Uncharted 4 to Firewatch, Overwatch and The Division, developers have been sharing their favourite games of the year.

Stunning graphics, brilliant storytelling and character development, as well as technical ingenuity have paved the way for some truly great games.

What has been your favourite game of the year and why?

I can tell you what game I am looking forward to, was funded this year. From an indie point of view all I can say is… yay.

The soundtrack is just one that takes your breathe away. Looks like it is going to be a corker of an experience, so beautiful!

Need it in my life!

Mine HAS to be overwatch. I’ve got 20+ hours played ( which is a huge amount for me! ).
It’s actually the first game I’ve ever made an in-game purchase for…I just couldn’t help myself! The last game I spent this much money on was probably World of Warcraft…is there a common theme here?!

The latest adventures of Agent 47 takes it for me I think!

I’ve mostly forgotten what’s been released this year, but I have a top-list.

• Dark Souls 3
  • Thumper
  • Firewatch
  • Lazarus (duh)
  • Planet Coaster

This was probably one of the best years in a while for shooters.

• Titanfall 2 - Exemplary MP and the most inventive campaign I’ve played in years. I mean, THAT mission.

• CoD: Infinite Warfare - Middling MP and the continued insistence of Activision that Zombies Mode is a thing that people actually want didn’t dull the brilliance of the campaign. Whilst it remains as jingoistic as ever, the fact that it’s competently told, with actual character arcs instead of the jambled mess that was the Titanfall 2 story definitely endeared it to me. It certainly helped that it look remarkably pretty.

• Overwatch - The first game to dethrone my DOTA addiction. Perfect match length and buckets of charm are a potent recipe.

• Doom - The game design felt like a hard rebuttal of the decisions taken over the course of the development of Doom 3. Purity and pacing won out over everything else and the game was all the better for it.

• Battlefield 1 - It never got its hooks into me quite as well as Overwatch but some of my favourite online memories come from last ditch rushes up a hill, vision blurred by mustard gas and rolling fog, all whilst Dice’s second-to-none sound design blasts my eardrums with the sounds of falling artillery.

Overwatch has been my go-to game of 2016 - it’s the one I spin up for a couple of games when I want to relax. Firewatch was a revelation - the world was so well-realised, especially through Ollie Moss’ item art and Jane Ng’s environments. I’d love to be able to wander around a full-scale version of that world, interacting with other players and wildlife.

The Division pulled me in for a while - I finished the campaign, but it didn’t keep me raiding. Maybe the survival mode will bring me back. The thing I liked most about it was the recreation of Midtown - but I wished there could have been more interaction with the world. Still an impressive achievement, though…

Looks like out of all the games I played this year, only 3 came out in 2016 so I guess that’s my list. If we could expand the list to game of the past few years that would be great.

• Uncharted 4
  • Job Simulator
  • The Division

Quite a lot of the big games have been listed already and I expected mine to be one of those too - especially Dark Souls III.

But the one that stuck with me this year was the totally unique Reigns for PC and mobile.

It stole hours of my time with its quirky characters, brilliant sound design and bizarre “choose-your-own-adventure book” style of progression.

That said, I think it needs an expansion ASAP because you start seeing the same cards over and over again.

Honestly, Battlefield 1 has stolen way too many hours of my time already. A welcome return to skill-based gameplay, and more unscripted Michael-Bay moments in the multiplayer that I could count!

Otherwise, Inside was a brilliant experience, developing on the persuasive argument that Limbo made at the time that video games are art. Even if it does take a hard left towards the end of the game.

Oh, and Deus Ex Mankind Divided. I stopped playing that game because I didn’t want to finish it and it be over. Skewed logic, I admit, but I loved the style of that game and how engrossing the environment was.

Has to be Rimworld. Nothing else has given me the ‘oh crap it’s 3am on a work night’ feeling.

For me the best game that came out in 2016 would be Stardew Valley. Fun game that is relaxing, entertaining, and rewarding.

My favorite game based on playtime over 2016, has been Fallout 4, and its DLC. I like the open world, and for me the settlement building is fun. I’ve played several different playstyles, and I like starting each game and giving my character a different obsession of some sort.

My honorable mentions/wishlist include RimWorld, 1979: Black Friday, and Duskers.