Improbable Icon

Wizards won't start - V11

v11-0-1

Hey All,
I’m trying to run the pre-built Wizards demo to see how it all hangs together, and I’ve run the launch command that deploys it to my project, and I watch the console and it shows it’s been provisioned then it sits there until it times out, with this:

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Nigel

Hello @Nigel_SC,

Sorry to hear that you are having this issue. Two questions / suggestions:

1. Did you observe this only on a single run or did it occur repeatedly? Unfortunately timeouts can happen as we are also sometimes dependent on our cloud provider when we need to start a deployment. Even if we are working on reducing such occurrences you can still tumble upon them from time-to-time. If you only did one try I suggest a retry which should normally succeed (else third is a charm :wink: ).
  2. If you keep observing this behaviour repeatedly then there might be an issue with your deployment itself which prevents it from getting healthy (a.k.a ready-to-go). In such a situation you should still be able to see the logs of the deployment through your console and they will very likely contain error messages that will give a better indication on what is going wrong. Don’t hesitate to post them here so other people can give their feedback or Improbable staff can help you out in the best possible manner.

Best regards,
Duco

Hi there,

I seem to be getting the same issue each time I try to deploy the test project.

In the log I’m seeing the following:

INFO: Downloading Snapshot(wizards_demo@20170804041434763)
ERROR: Initial snapshot validation failed: Failed to read an entity from a snapshot

This seems to be happening each time I run it.

Yep exact same issue Mark

Here is the full exception, in case that helps Duco:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Initial snapshot validation failed: Failed to read an entity from a snapshot
	at improbable.module.ModuleNode.blockingValidateSnapshotAndDetermineMaxEntityId(ModuleNode.scala:425)
	at improbable.module.ModuleNode.<init>(ModuleNode.scala:213)
	at improbable.deployment.InternalGameLauncher.<init>(InternalGameLauncher.scala:51)
	at improbable.deployment.GameLauncher$.delayedEndpoint$improbable$deployment$GameLauncher$1(GameLauncher.scala:25)
	at improbable.deployment.GameLauncher$delayedInit$body.apply(GameLauncher.scala:14)
	at scala.Function0$class.apply$mcV$sp(Function0.scala:34)
	at scala.runtime.AbstractFunction0.apply$mcV$sp(AbstractFunction0.scala:12)
	at scala.App$$anonfun$main$1.apply(App.scala:76)
	at scala.App$$anonfun$main$1.apply(App.scala:76)
	at scala.collection.immutable.List.foreach(List.scala:381)
	at scala.collection.generic.TraversableForwarder$class.foreach(TraversableForwarder.scala:35)
	at scala.App$class.main(App.scala:76)
	at improbable.deployment.GameLauncher$.main(GameLauncher.scala:14)
	at improbable.deployment.GameLauncher.main(GameLauncher.scala)

actualy that was my initial error Now I get a schema incompatible message and below is some of the error log:

017-08-04 04:59:47,599 INFO  [i.e.schema.ParsedFileDescriptorSet] [] [] [] : Parsed file descriptors of 31 proto files.
2017-08-04 04:59:47,619 ERROR [i.entity.schema.FabricSchema] [] [] [] : Your schema is incompatible with the standard library schema. Did you try to use a reserved component ID for your own components, or edit the standard library schema?
2017-08-04 04:59:47,620 ERROR [improbable.deployment.GameLauncher$] [] [] [] : SpatialOS runtime startup failed.
2017-08-04 04:59:47,623 ERROR [improbable.deployment.GameLauncher$] [] [] [] : Unhandled exception on startup
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to create full schema from user schema
	at improbable.module.ModuleNode.<init>(ModuleNode.scala:197) ~[fabric__runtime_deploy.jar:na]
	at improbable.deployment.InternalGameLauncher.<init>(InternalGameLauncher.scala:46) ~[fabric__runtime_deploy.jar:na]
	at improbable.deployment.GameLauncher$.delayedEndpoint$improbable$deployment$GameLauncher$1(GameLauncher.scala:21) [fabric__runtime_deploy.jar:na]
	at improbable.deployment.GameLauncher$delayedInit$body.apply(GameLauncher.scala:12) [fabric__runtime_deploy.jar:na]
	at scala.Function0$class.apply$mcV$sp(Function0.scala:34) [fabric__runtime_deploy.jar:na]
	at scala.runtime.AbstractFunction0.apply$mcV$sp(AbstractFunction0.scala:12) [fabric__runtime_deploy.jar:na]
	at scala.App$$anonfun$main$1.apply(App.scala:76) [fabric__runtime_deploy.jar:na]
	at scala.App$$anonfun$main$1.apply(App.scala:76) [fabric__runtime_deploy.jar:na]
	at scala.collection.immutable.List.foreach(List.scala:381) [fabric__runtime_deploy.jar:na]
	at scala.collection.generic.TraversableForwarder$class.foreach(TraversableForwarder.scala:35) [fabric__runtime_deploy.jar:na]
	at scala.App$class.main(App.scala:76) [fabric__runtime_deploy.jar:na]
	at improbable.deployment.GameLauncher$.main(GameLauncher.scala:12) [fabric__runtime_deploy.jar:na]
	at improbable.deployment.GameLauncher.main(GameLauncher.scala) [fabric__runtime_deploy.jar:na]
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to merge well known schema into user provided extension registry.
	at improbable.common.Present.failed(Present.java:44) ~[fabric__runtime_deploy.jar:na]
	at improbable.entity.schema.FabricSchema.create(FabricSchema.java:46) ~[fabric__runtime_deploy.jar:na]
	at improbable.module.ModuleNode.<init>(ModuleNode.scala:195) ~[fabric__runtime_deploy.jar:na]
	... 12 common frames omitted

Ok so a quick heads up
I went through the Pirates tutorial for deployment

but used it on wizards and I was able to rebuild and get the thing working. the pre-built version was problematic for me.

Might want to try that @mark_ffrench

Hmm… I tried rebuilding the wizards project, roughly following the instructions in the pirates guide, but I’m still getting the same error. :frowning:

Ok. What appears to be going on is that you probably have signed up for SpatialOS before the 11.0.0 version was released. This means that the version of Wizards that was pre-uploaded for you was one for SpatialOS 10.x. Because there have been changes to entities and components between those two versions a snapshot for 10.x is not usable for a 11.x deployment and vice-versa, hence the failures.

We are aware that this is an issue that people have been encountering a few times and are already working on a proper solution.

You can confirm that this is the root cause of the issue that you are experiencing by going to your project in the console and click to see the details of your assemblies. The pre-uploaded one should be displayed as a 10.x assembly (last column of the line).

This means that if you go to the Wizards GitHub and download the repository in the corresponding version then you should still be able to start the deployment in a healthy state (although not running on 11.x).

Best regards,
Duco

Hi guys,
I’ve faced the same issues, but it’s clear now. I thought that sample project is something wrong, so you should download or clone the Wizard project (from https://github.com/spatialos/Wizards ) to your computer. Then, I proceed following an instruction like as below https://docs.improbable.io/reference/11.0/tutorials/pirates/lesson1.
1 Download the Wizards Project (from https://github.com/spatialos/Wizards )
2 Open a terminal and navigate to the directory you just unzipped (the directory that contains spatialos.json).
3 $ spatial worker build UnityWorker UnityClient --target=development
4 $ spatial cloud upload Wizardtest
5 $ spatial cloud launch Wizardtest default_launch.json wizardtest --snapshot=snapshots/default.snapshot
6 Open https://console.improbable.io/projects.
7 Click on the deployment’s name (wizardtest)