Improbable Icon

Forums

Worlds Adrift closing down

This is sad news. Is SpatialOS going to add a option for localhost play or any P2P so we can avoid any bad fallout for future games in SpatialOS.
So the game is still playable, even if the cloud is no more.
I am still working on my “Game Design” and looking pro and cons with SpatialOS and I like to have a good disaster plan in place. If the game fails I like to know I did the best I can with out making anyone feeling ripped of.

Hi @Zewy,

There are a couple of possible situations that you could be describing. One is where a developer no longer wants to run a game on SpatialOS, but is prepared to hand over or open-source the code. The other is where a developer, for whatever reason, wants to move a game with cloud-based multiplayer off the cloud.

If a developer using SpatialOS no longer wanted to operate their game, they would have the option of making their code open source. At that point a community or other third party would potentially be able to keep a game running on SpatialOS and keep it updated, but this would be the responsibility of the parties involved.

Alternatively, developers (either the original developers, or a community, or a third party working on the game after the code was transferred or open-sourced) could change the game’s code, for example to make it playable offline as a single-player game, or using P2P networking for limited multiplayer functionality. At this point the game would no longer be running on SpatialOS, because games built using SpatialOS take advantage of the unique features of the SpatialOS suite of services and its cloud-based multi-server platform.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Nee

I have a follow up question.
Can I run SpatialOS with out being on the SpatialOS cloud. With the cost free version of SpatialOS and let the player be the server(host) and keep playing there. Or do I need to remove all of the SpatialOS and reprogram everything to work with unreal engine 4 multiplayer replication.

Hi @Zewy,

So, SpatialOS makes it possible to use multi-server architecture to make making your game easier, and to offer innovative game features.

Different engine integrations may work differently, of course, but in this case, as you mentioned Unreal, we’ll refer to that. If the Unreal game you are building on SpatialOS does not use multi-server features and runs on a single server, it could be redeployed on a single-server architecture. If you are using the unique additional features enabled by multi-server architecture, you would need to adjust your game for single-server architecture.

best,
Nee